Summer is just around the corner here in the North-western hemisphere, so what better time to explore the advantages of solar panels and cells. Even if a solar product never graces your home, knowing the basics of solar energy is still fascinating.
Here is a popular product on Eio, the Velleman SOL5N Solar Charger.
Did You Know (according to Solar Energy 101):
- Enough energy comes from the sun in one hour to power the global population for a year.
- Sunlight is a totally renewable resource, unlike oil, coal and natural gas.
- Solar energy is a great alternative resource due to the decrease in the world’s energy resources and the high pollution caused by many fossil fuels.
The Advantages of Using Solar Energy
Solar energy is harnessed by the photovoltaic effect created in solar cells and panels. Solar panels, a collection of tightly connected solar cells, capture sunlight and convert its energy directly into electricity. And solar panels are more common than you think: although mainly used to adorn rooftops, they also come in handheld calculators, solar powered street and traffic lights, even fans and radios.
According to the Solar Now! campaign in Oregon, the advantages of putting solar panels on your house (or business) include:
- Increase in your property’s value
- Decrease in your electricity bill
- Demonstrates environmental leadership in your community
- Lightens your personal impact on the environment
Here’s a memorable (and satirical) picture from The Simpsons, when environmental activist Ed Begley Jr. unveils his solar powered creation to the lovable family. By way of poking fun at “smug” environmentalists, Begley’s humongous solar panels generate enough electricity to make a little fan spin!