Laptop theft happens all the time. One CEO tells his story. After giving a presentation at a conference, he walks into the audience to field questions and leaves his laptop unattended on the podium. 15-20 minutes pass; he returns to the podium to collect his belongings only to find his laptop is missing!
While this is a more extreme situation, laptops are vulnerable to theft in many everyday situations, even places we trust:
- in our cubicles at work while we take a lunch break;
- when we use the restroom at the coffee shop;
- on the library table to take a quick breather.
According to an FBI/CSI survey, a laptop-notebook is stolen every 53 seconds in the US, totaling more than $3.5 million in losses. Wikipedia estimates that 1 in 10 laptops will be stolen within their lifetime.
So how do you prevent laptop theft? Attaching a security cable with lock onto your laptop is one of the most cost effective ways to deter thieves. Your miniscule effort of physically locking your laptop onto an immobile object (like a table or chair) is often enough to make a thief overlook your gadget and move on to easier prey.
Check out some of Eio‘s more popular laptop security accessories:
Kensington Notebook Lock & Security Cable
**Your laptop must have a Universal Security Slot (USS)**.
Targus Ultra Notebook Computer Security System
(includes security cable & alarm system)
Besides the nifty security devices, Josh over at Symantec.com provides some wonderful common sense tips on preventing laptop theft:
- Keep the laptop out of site.
- Choose an inconspicuous carrying case.
- Keep the laptop close at hand.
- Label and Tag the Laptop and All Accessories.
- Communicate Employee Responsibility for the Laptop.
Protect your belongings! Better safe than sorry.
- Laptop Security/Laptop Theft
- New Product Monday!
- Are Anti-Static Devices Necessary for Small Electronics Projects?