Today’s Eio post is on anti-virus software.
What is it?
Anti-virus software often falls under the umbrella of internet security. These programs are designed specifically to provide computer users protection against dangers when one browses the internet. Some of these hazards include computer viruses, adware, worms, spyware, hijackers, and even identity theft. These programs help identify dangerous security threats that could adversely affect the computer’s performance, and then eliminate the threats. Some software helps prevent security issues when surfing the internet, such as protecting against identity theft.
Wisegeek gives good advice on how the software works:
After the antivirus program is installed, the user will need to register the product. When set-up is complete, the software will begin to work instantaneously. A good program will carefully monitor the computer and ultimately eliminate any viruses, spyware and threats that are found. Virus detection found on the antivirus program will typically be isolated at first. The user will then have the option of removing the danger or keeping the infected file in isolation.
Symantec 21069971 Norton Antivirus 2011 – 3 User
Stay a step ahead of threats to your PC with the industry’s fastest antivirus protection. Norton AntiVirus 2011 detects and eliminates viruses, spyware, and other threats lying in wait to infect your PC, so you can chat, email, and share files safely. It provides rock-solid protection against hidden threats lurking in downloads, emails, and instant messages without slowing down your PC’s performance. The result? You’ll spend less time waiting for slow scans that bog down your computer and have more time to chat, download your favorite tunes and videos, and hang out at social networking sites.
- UNIQUE! Norton Insight: Identifies and scans only files at risk for fewer, shorter scans and the fastest scan speeds in the industry.
- FREE 24 x 7 Support: Get help and answers by phone, email, live chat, or online whenever you need it.* (Not available in every country. Please refer to the updated support matrix [Library Number: 116509] for country-by-country specifics.)
- UNIQUE! Norton Protection System: Provides overlapping layers of protection that work together to defend against all types of online threats, from viruses to dangerous downloads, and even emerging new scams created to steal your identity or hard-earned cash.
- UNIQUE! Norton System Insight: Helps you keep your computer performing its best. Shows you how files and applications affect your PC’s performance.
- UNIQUE! Norton Download Insight: Warns you if a downloaded file or application is dangerous before you install or run it on your PC.
- UNIQUE! Norton File Insight: Gives you detailed information about the files found on your PC including where the file came from (the website URL) and if it can be trusted.
- UNIQUE! Norton Pulse Updates: Runs in the background and provides “mini” updates every 5-15 minutes — more frequently than the nearest competitor — for up-to-the-minute protection against the latest threats and crimeware.
KASPERSKY lab KOS905121 Small Office Security – 5 User
For Personal Computers:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32/64 Bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (32/64 Bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (32/64 Bit)
Intel Pentium 1 GHz 32/64-bit or higher (or equivalent)
1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32/64 Bit)(Service Pack 2 or higher)
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (32/64 Bit) (Service Pack 2 or higher)
Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32/64 Bit) (Service Pack 2 or higher)
Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (32/64 Bit) (Service Pack 2 or higher)
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32/64 Bit) (Service Pack 2 or higher)
Intel Pentium 1 GHz 32/64-bit or higher (or equivalent)
1 GB available RAM
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 3 or higher)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 3 or higher)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 64-bit Edition (Service Pack 2 or higher)
Intel Pentium 300 MHz or higher (or equivalent)
256 MB available RAM
For File Servers:
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
Intel Pentium 1.4 GHz x64 or 1.3 GHz dual core processor or higher
512 MB available RAM
** Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials (a.k.a. ‘Aurora’)
Intel Pentium 2 GHz 64-bit processor or higher
4 GB available RAM
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard
Intel Pentium 1.4 GHz 64-bit (x64) or a 1 GHz processor or higher (or a compatible equivalent)
512 MB of free RAM
For all installations:
Approximately 500 MB of free space on the hard drive (depending on the antivirus database size)
CD-ROM for installation of the program from CD
Internet connection for product activation
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
Microsoft Windows Installer 2.0
*Limitations of 64-bit operating systems:
Safe Run Mode does not work on Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit and works with limitations on MS Windows VIsta & 7 64 bit
BitDefender OB11011003EN-NE Antivirus Pro 2011 + Tune Up, 3-User /1 yr
For Windows systems, provides 3 PCs with one year of protection against viruses, spyware, and identity theft.
BitDefender Antivirus PRO 2011 provides 3 PCs with one year of protection against viruses, spyware, and identity theft. Includes: IM Encryption; Video Tutorials; hourly updates; and more! BONUS TuneUp Utilities automatically fixes PC problems and keeps them running at full speed.
PC Pitstop PCMATIC-5PC-1003 PC Matic
This program is an easy to use application that performs critical computer maintenance with a click of a button. Remove and keep Malware at bay while boosting internet and system performance. The new Active Malware Protection stops Viruses, Spyware, Worms, Trojan Horses, Rootkits, Bots, Keyloggers, Adware.